Job title: Consultant Environmental Economist
Job description: Company Description
Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We’re one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
Environment & Sustainability
At AECOM, our commitment to shaping a sustainable future is embodied in the Environment & Sustainability Business Unit, one of the Top Environmental Consultancies. This comprehensive team seamlessly integrates three Sub Business Units — Planning & Communities, Carbon & Advisory, and Nature — each comprising specialised Practices that collectively deliver sustainable solutions for our clients, promoting social and environmental benefit.
The Nature Unit comprises our Ecology and Natural Capital Practices, that champion the integration of nature into decision-making and project planning. By integrating our multi-disciplinary expertise in ecology, biodiversity net gain and natural capital, we offer a systems-based approach that recognises the need for nature positive solutions and re-naturalising infrastructure to meet net zero.
In the realm of decision-making and investment planning, our long-standing Natural Capital and Environmental Net Gain team has the track record to make an impact beyond corporate social responsibility. By integrating nature into the very fabric of decision processes, we maximise the value derived from sustainable practices and natural resources at a corporate and project level.
What your new role will entail;
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Consultant Environmental Economist to join our Natural Capital & Environmental Net Gain team which is part of our Nature Unit.
The team works across all aspects of the natural capital agenda including natural capital accounting, environmental valuation, cost-benefit appraisal, environmental net gain analysis, and markets and payments for ecosystem services.
As a consultant in our team, you will be involved in research and analysis, combining desk studies with client contact including occasional visits to client offices, and delivering projects for public, private and third sector organisations both in the UK and internationally across a range of sectors including water, energy, agriculture, forestry, and transport.
You’ll employ your creativity to develop ideas and solutions to deliver effective environmental and sustainability outcomes and improved project performance.
Being part of the team;
- The Natural Capital and Environmental Net Gain team is a small multi-disciplinary team that include environmental economists, environmental consultants with natural capital experience and forestry and soils.
- The post will be located in London or Edinburgh where our team are based. Hybrid working patterns are in operation: there would be an expectation to be in the office 2 days a week.
- We are a friendly and collaborative team: we work closely with a range of other teams across AECOM including: Carbon & Advisory, Digital Environment, and our international teams (US, Australia for example)
- We help our clients meet business objectives and contribute to the well-being of ecosystems through: environmental valuation, natural capital accounting, cost benefit analysis, informing environmental net gain and nature-based solution opportunities and funding and incentive design.
Examples of recent and on-going projects:
- Developing catchment natural capital accounts for a water company.
- Providing advice and analysis for land-based carbon opportunities to meet business net zero commitments.
- Development of frameworks for integrating environmental and community impacts into an economic appraisal of electricity transmission options.
- Working with our digital team to develop a rapid natural capital assessment tool which includes valuation of 10 key ecosystem services.
- Developing a route map for green finance opportunities for a public sector organisation to better inform nature projects for funding and finance.
- Providing support to the development of the WWF Playbook for Nature Positive Infrastructure Development.
- Continuing to co-lead the Natural Capital Laboratory in its 5th year of operation which includes the on-going development of digital natural capital accounts
This role provides an exciting opportunity to develop your environmental economics skills and work on projects that make a difference by better integrating nature into decision-making.
Here’s what we will need from you;
- We’re looking for someone who is committed to tackling environmental and sustainability challenges, ideally with knowledge of natural capital as well as environment and sustainability legislation, policy, guidance, and best practice more generally.
- Ideally, you will have a relevant undergraduate degree and, potentially, a relevant post-graduate degree. Relevant first or post-graduate degree subjects include: environmental economics or ecological economics.
- Relevant work experience is desirable whether in the public or private sector.
You’ll need to be self-motivated, as well as having:
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills and the aptitude to understand and communicate complex technical information
- Creativity and ability to propose solutions to practical issues on projects such as data limitations and time constraints
- Ability to work as part of a team and the capacity to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and stakeholders
- A willingness to work flexibly across different projects to meet team needs
- Ability to work to deadlines, working flexibly under pressure and responding to changing project and programme demands
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to structure and prioritise the delivery of project outputs effectively while working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Understanding of how to help manage projects effectively
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $14.4 billion in fiscal year 2023. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Location: Croydon, Greater London
Job date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 23:44:43 GMT
Apply for the job now!