Job title: Graduate Connections Engineer, Electricity Transmission – Customer Connections
Company: National Grid
Job description: About us
National Grid is at the heart of the energy future, and our people are at the heart of National Grid. We’re 30,000 colleagues strong. In the UK, National Grid don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition as we focus on building a cleaner, greener future. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
Our values and principles
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of who we are and what we do. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and they are central to our mission. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that you require.
About the role
Our Customer Connections team play a vital role in connecting new sources of electricity generation to the network and ensuring demand customers can connect too. The connections process is key to delivering the capacity needed for an efficient and renewable transmission network. To do this the Customer Connections Team need to deliver an increasing number of highly complex and exciting new projects and you will play a crucial role in enabling us to do this.
You will you be working within the Regional Connections team that are responsible for creating customer offers, option selection, development, and sanction of a portfolio of customer driven capital investments. The team ensures cost effective, safe, fit for purpose delivery solutions are prepared to connect customers to the transmission system in line with relevant electrical design and safety criteria. You will be supporting Connection Engineers to progress project investments through our Network Development Process. Throughout your role you will liaise with numerous internal and external key project stakeholders as well as writing and presenting our key documentations to governance committees. You will prepare technical scoping documents for our contractors and cost estimates whilst broadening your understanding of customer commercial contracts and agreements.
Joining our Graduate Programme means you’re ready to apply your academic knowledge in a practical setting. We’re on the lookout for driven individuals who are eager to learn, good at forming relationships, can communicate effectively, and are not afraid to ask questions when needed. Being a supportive team member is also a key part of this role.
To be successful in this role the following skills and experience are required:
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Stakeholder management skills
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Interest in the UK energy industry, markets and energy transition
- Enthusiasm for the Graduate Programme and the opportunities it offers, you will be expected to be fully involved and committed to the programme
What you’ll need
· You’ll have a minimum 2.2 degree in an Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Data Science discipline (or similar quantitative STEM field).
· Flexibility to travel will be required on occasion throughout the placement.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Effective stakeholder engagement skills.
· Due to the amount of travel to our site locations, you’ll need to have a valid full UK Driving License.
This role has multiple vacancies available. These vacancies are based in Warwick, Leeds and Bristol. All of these vacancies offer flexible, hybrid working.
We care about your wellbeing and want you to get the best out of your working environment, so our future for office-based teams is hybrid. Hybrid working is a mix between home and office working. Flexibility is the key, what’s important is that it meets the needs of the colleague and the business, and that you agree the best approach for you and your team with your manager.
We recruit on a rolling basis and reserve the right to close our vacancies once we have enough applications. We encourage you to apply as early as possible to ensure you obtain the place you want in the application process.
Assessment centres will be held from December 2023 onwards.
What you’ll get
We are proud to offer a starting salary of £33,154 (Bachelor’s) or £34,300 (Master’s).
As a first step to your career in the energy industry, our Graduate Programmes are like no other! You’ll gain an insight into how we work at National Grid, understand what a career with us can offer, and receive some great rewards and benefits:
- £2,000 bonus, once joined and started on programme
- 26 days holiday
- £2,400 payment on successful completion of the programme
- Up to £200 per month accommodation allowance as you move around the business, and additional annual leave for when you move between placements plus assistance with moving personal belongings
- Cost of living allowance (inner London, Metropolitan and Outer Metropolitan areas)
- Other benefits include pension and share-option schemes, Flexible Benefits, close mentorship and regular feedback, and volunteering opportunities
At National Grid, we work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office.
Our goal is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, the innovation from diverse teams & perspectives and business need. We are committed to building a workforce so we can represent the communities we serve and have a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential.
Location: Bristol Area
Job date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 03:36:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!