Job title: Lead Hydraulic Modeller
Job description: Your Impact:
At Jacobs, we’ll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent. In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business
About the Opportunity
We are looking for an experienced Hydraulic Modeller with interest in line management to join our new Water Catchment Management team in Newcastle. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with extensive experience in 1D and 1D-2D hydraulic modelling on projects involving river, coastal and surface water modelling for flood mapping studies, surface water management plans. Flood strategies, and other flood management projects.
You will play an important role in helping to deliver our extensive flood risk management programme of works, mentoring and developing more junior staff and supporting development of our innovative solutions and products. This includes the development of Flood Modeller, the #1 flood modelling solution.
You will have the opportunity to work on and lead projects covering all aspects of modelling including flood risk, reservoir safety and design, water resources, coastal, fluvial and urban flooding using industry tools. Your role will include tasks such as:
- Line management and mentoring
- Hydraulic modelling using industry standard software (Flood Modeller, Tuflow, InfoWorks, HEC-RAS) for model development, calibration, interpretation, and interrogation of 1D and 1D/2D models
- Analysing, managing, and interpreting data using GIS software (ArcGIS, MapInfo, QGIS) and analytical tools (R and Python)
- Contributing your own innovative ideas, challenging the norm, and helping us all deliver better solutions for our clients
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver client outcomes
- Writing and reviewing technical reports to convey key messages, derived from complex technical documentation, in a simple and clear manner
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Interest in or experience of staff management and development.
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Mathematics or a related discipline and Chartered with ICE or CIWEM.
- Experience of using industry standard software, such as Flood Modeller, Tuflow, InfoWorks or HEC-RAS for model development, calibration, interpretation and interrogation of 1D and 1D/2D models.
- Experience of technical assurance of modelling outputs.
- Experience of hydrological calculations.
- Experience of writing and reviewing technical reports to convey key messages in a simple and clear manner.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s –
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please .
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then
Job date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:48:48 GMT
Apply for the job now!