Job title: Quality Engineer
Company: Smiths Group
Job description: Quality Engineer
Location: EMEA, United Kingdom, Hemel Hempstead
Division: Smiths Detection
Job Function: Operations
SMITHS DETECTION MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE
Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
We have an amazing opportunity for a Quality Engineer to join our R&D Division based from our Centre of Excellence site at Hemel Hempstead.
Reporting to the Quality Manger, the Quality Engineer is responsible for undertaking all functional activities necessary for the assurance of compliance to the applicable standards, regulatory and customer requirements and the fulfilment of the of the functional and site objectives.
The Quality Engineer will also be responsible to assist the Quality Manager in developing and embedding a quality culture by ensuring everyone understand and upholds the quality management system principles.
Join us and we’ll help build your career, with excellent training and opportunities for career growth across the business, both locally and globally.
You’ll experience an inclusive environment, with strong leadership and a focus on safety and wellbeing. You’ll also have the flexibility to choose from a wide range of benefits to suit your lifestyle, offering you and your family support from a health and wellbeing, financial and lifestyle perspective.
Due to the sensitive nature of the projects involved, you will undergo UK Security Clearance, and this means we can only accept applications from candidates that have lived and worked in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years.
Duties and Responsibilities (Includes but not limited to)
What you’ll do –
- Work cross-functionally in providing effective and responsive support to resolve in-house, customer quality related issues. Lead / support and assure effective problem resolution using an 8D methodology.
- Support the product throughout its lifecycle – NPI through retirement and represent quality at project meetings and gate reviews.
- Co-ordinate with multi-disciplinary teams throughout the execution of the project. Plan, execute, and monitor all aspects of project quality assurance activities at different NPI project phases as escalate concerns to the Quality Manager as required.
- Ensure project integrity and feedback to the customer of any required quality topics. Ensures the quality plan is created and implemented in line with Smiths referential.
- Ensure product quality (FPY), reliability requirements are identified and met.
- Oversee production handover of new products and assess capability.
- Participate in project risk reviews and ensures that acceptable levels of risk have been agreed and communicated internally with an action plan.
- Participate in project lessons learnt reviews.
- Participate in Design / Process FMEAs Lead and undertake Quality, Information Security, EHS internal audits (process and product)
- Review and sign off Engineering Change Requests and Waivers on behalf of the Quality function. Drive timely management and ownership of the existing non-conforming material by participating in the MRB process.
- Review, analyse and report weekly / monthly Cost of Poor-Quality Data to understand the key contributing factors and ensure actions agreed/ taken to minimise it. Support key projects to deliver the annual COPQ cost saving targets. Support / facilitate customer visits / audits / inspections and FATs.
- Lead and improve compliance adherence to company processes, international standards, and other regulatory and customer requirements.
- Assist other members of the quality team in the achievement of customer satisfaction and quality improvement targets.
- Timely escalate concerns to the Quality Manager Undertake delegated activities by the Quality Manager. Strengthen cross-functional collaboration. Streamline processes and reinforcement.
- Contribute to the delivery of functional, strategic site and divisional objectives.
- Encourage and develop best practice, promoting a quality culture and environment of continuous improvement.
- Actively support and participate in the company core values and policies.
- Perform other duties as required/ assigned.
- Detailed knowledge of ISO 9001 Quality Management System is essential and familiarity with the AS9100 Aerospace standard would be advantageous.
- An understanding and working knowledge of ISO 27001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, IPC 610, IPC 620 etc is preferred.
- Knowledge of new product introduction / product life cycle process.
- Knowledge and understanding of problem-solving and continuous improvement methodology, Lean manufacturing and six sigma tools and techniques.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to solve problems using tools such as Process FMEA / 8D / Cause & Effect
Educational / Experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in quality disciplines, engineering, or similar subject areas.
- Previous experience in a similar role in production and design organisations / similar industries
- Previous experience of acting as project quality lead for new product introduction / industrialisation.
- Lead Auditor trained (formally recognised qualification) and extensive experience of compliance verification undertaking audits.
- Lean six sigma green or black belt certified.
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn page and follow our story
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity. We have several employee-led Employee Resources Groups (women@work, Black Employees Network, Veterans, Pride Network) providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment and beyond.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website ( )or LinkedIn.
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Job date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 07:57:10 GMT
Apply for the job now!